Friday, September 07, 2007


Early this spring (mid June by Yellowknife standards) I threw down some wild flower seed in our front flower bed. I was pretty much obsessed with seeing what would grow and I meticulously weeded and watered the bed every day (well almost every day). Stuff was coming up, however, due to my lack of gardening experience I had basically no idea what most of the stuff was. When we were just about to leave for Manitoba for holidays (in mid July) a number of the plants had huge buds on them that were about to burst. I was mortified that I would not be there to see them bloom and thought they might be dead by the time we returned from holidays (due to the short summer season in Yellowknife). So I called my good friend (and neighbor) Michelle and asked her if she ever happened to be walking by our house with a camera would she mind taking a few pictures of my flowers. Michelle was kind enough to oblige and the result are these award-winning flower photos! Thank you so much Michelle…you rock!!!
And as a bit of an epilogue to this story, yes I am still enjoying those big beautiful poppy blooms (I now know what they are). I guess I underestimated the length of a Yellowknife summer. But in any case, it sure is nice to have the pictures!

No comments: